Missing 3-Year-Old Confirmed Dead & Now Her Father Is Changing His Story

wesley mathews
Richardson Police Department/Facebook

On October 22, news broke that the body of a small child had been found in Richardson, Texas. With a multi-agency search already under way for 3-year-old Sherin Mathews, most people assumed the worst. Unfortunately, those assumptions were confirmed today, including the public's suspicion that Sherin's father, Wesley, likely had more to do with her disappearance than he was letting on.


The Richardson Police Department confirmed that the body of 3-year-old Sherin Mathews was indeed found on Sunday evening. Thought to be missing since October 7, the child made national headlines when it was discovered that her disappearance had occurred after her father forced her to stand outside alone in the middle of the night as punishment for not drinking her milk.

Richardson Police Department

More from CafeMom: 7-Year-Old Fatally Mauled by 2 Pit Bulls in Tragic Accident

On Monday evening, Wesley Mathews -- along with his lawyer -- arrived at the Richardson police department and asked to speak with detectives. Officials claim that he "provided an alternate statement of events from those which he had given previously regarding the disappearance of Sherin." 

An arrest warrant for Wesley Mathews shares the graphic details surrounding Sherin's death. According to the documents, Mathews had "been trying to get the 3-year-old girl to drink her milk in the garage" in the early morning hours on the day she went missing. The affidavit also mentioned that Mathews "said she wouldn't listen to him."

After failing to get her to drink her milk, Mathews claimed that he "physically assisted" his daughter in drinking it, and Sherin subsequently choked on the milk. Mathews claimed that he watched his daughter die as a result. "She was coughing and her breathing slowed. Eventually, Wesley Mathews no longer felt a pulse on the child and believed she had died," the document says. 

From there, Mathews told authorities that he moved Sherin's body from the family's home to the culvert where her body was found on Sunday, which was located less than a mile away from the family's home.  

After his admission, Mathews was arrested on first degree felony charges of injury to a child. Police say those charges could be changed, upgraded, or modified depending on what information the medical examiners recover from Sherin's remains.

More from CafeMom: Mom Warns Parents After Toddler Almost Chokes Eating This Common Treat

While many are grateful to finally have some answers regarding Sherin's disappearance, knowing the tragic outcome of her story and that her father is allegedly the one who ended her life doesn't make this case any less devastating.

Read More >