Man Lights Firework on His Own Head & Dies Instantly

This is why pyrotechnics and booze don't mix, people. A 22-year-old man is dead after accidentally lighting a firework on his head during a Fourth of July celebration on Saturday in Maine. Devon Staples was goofing off with his brother and some friends, when he posed with a mortar tube on his head to make people laugh.

Advertisement

His brother Cody said he accidentally lit the firework with a lighter he was holding in his other hand, and he watched the gruesome death just a few feet away, unable to do anything to save him.

"There was no rushing him to the hospital. There was no Devon left when I got there," the 25-year-old said. "It was a freak accident ... But Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid. He was the kind of person who would pretend to do something stupid to make people laugh."

Staples was home from working in Orlando, where he would dress up as characters like Gaston from Beauty and the Beast. He loved to interact with kids and make them laugh, according to his family.

More from The Stir: July 4th Fireworks Accident Leaves Families Injured Amid Horrifying Chaos (VIDEO)

He was also recently engaged, and his fiancée posted on her Facebook that she would always love him.

What an absolute tragedy. It seems like he was a really great guy, and it was just a stunt gone horribly wrong. It's a grisly reminder that just because fireworks may be legal, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be treated with extreme care. One stupid mistake could cost you your life.

Maine officials say that this is the first fireworks-related death since they were legalized two years ago. Let's hope it's the first and the last.

Have you ever been hurt by fireworks?

 

Image via Devon Staples/Facebook

Read More >

death