Kids Hospitalized After Daycare Worker Accidentally Serves Them Bleach

Water PitcherFive ambulances showed up to a New Jersey daycare on Thursday, after a childcare worker accidentally gave bleach-laced water to more than two dozen small children and at least two adults.

According to the Jersey City Fire Department, a substitute teacher's aide at the Growing Tree Learning Center II served the students some water out of a container, while being unaware that it had a little bit of bleach in it.


Those who ingested the bleach ended up being hospitalized to treat the poison. The emergency call was received just a few minutes before 11 A.M., according to a spokesman for Jersey City Medical Center-Barnabas, and the ambulances were deployed. According to reports, other emergency crews responded as well.

"Somebody made a mistake and they were trying to give the children water but then they realized it was mixed with bleach," dispatcher Barbara Allen said.

One source said that 28 3- and 4-year-olds were treated for bleach poisoning in the hospital, along with two adults. They were complaining of "lightheadedness, mild nausea and stomachaches."

A national poison control center instructed the hospital to treat the patients by giving them liquids rather than inducing vomiting. Everyone has been released, and the state Department of Children and Families is investigating to make sure safety protocols are followed in the future.

It is such a blessing that everyone ended up fine, but it's also a good reminder that accidents happen, and it's OK to seek help immediately. Poisons are tricky -- some are better off getting out of your system right away with induced vomiting, and others are better off being diluted with extra water while they work their way through your system.

Have you ever worried about your child being accidentally poisoned?

If you suspect your child has ingested poison, please call the American Association of Poison Control Centers at 1-800-222-1222.


Image via Till Westermayer/Flcikr

Read More >