Carbon Monoxide Evacuation in Elementary School Caused by a Really Stupid Mistake (VIDEO)

carbon monoxideSo, this is unsettling. Five-hundred students in Finch Elementary School in Atlanta were evacuated from school Monday morning when high and unsafe levels of carbon monoxide were detected. Twenty-nine students, a cafeteria worker, and a teacher were taken to a nearby hospital. Cops and firefighters showed up at the school after there were reports that people were unconscious.

And what makes the whole situation even worse is what caused the situation. It's something every one of us needs to worry about. Great.


According to Atlanta fire Capt. Marian McDaniel, no one was unconscious as reported, but people were ill at the school. And the cause? A faulty furnace. Firefighters found seriously unsafe levels of carbon monoxide by a furnace in the school, leading them to believe that the furnace was leaking, well, carbon monoxide. McDaniel said of the leak: "It was one of the highest we've seen." Thankfully, as of now, no one has been reported as having life-threatening symptoms, but all 31 people hospitalized had problems serious enough to warranted further medical attention. Yikes.

I mean, I don't know about you, but when I go to work in the morning, carbon monoxide definitely isn't something at the forefront of my brain. Or in the back of it. And even though my daughter is still a baby, and years away from kindergarten, I worry about her going to school. But yeah, carbon monoxide has never crossed my mind. Ever.

Thank goodness everyone is okay. Hopefully, this will be a reminder to businesses, homes, and schools everywhere to always make sure the carbon monoxide detectors are working.

Have you ever had a carbon monoxide scare?

CBS Atlanta 46


Image via Victory of the People/Flickr

Read More >