Toddler Stuck in Pool Filter Gets Rescued by Relentless Firefighters

poolProving there is simply no end to the wild and crazy ways toddlers can find to hurt themselves, a 3-year-old boy in Orange County, California, had to be rescued by firefighters when the lower half of his body got stuck in a pool filtration system designed to suck leaves out of the pool. Yikes!

Advertisement

Thankfully -- and miraculously -- the boy wasn't hurt, but it still took firefighters 45 minutes of drilling through concrete to free him, so it's not surprising that he was "absolutely elated" to be freed, according to Orange County Fire Authority firefighter Robert Frick. 

No doubt his parents were equally elated. The family reportedly tried to get the boy out of the filter themselves using liquid soap, but to no avail. (I can just imagine that scene, can't you?? "Pour more Dawn on him!! Okay, on the count of three, everybody pull!")

Here's how it actually went down: 

More from The Stir: Even Chlorine Can't Kill Gross Bacteria in Pools This Summer

It's a super scary thing that could happen in the blink of an eye, especially on the slick surface surrounding a swimming pool: According to the U.S. Consumer Product and Safety Commission, between 2009 and 2013, 33 people across the U.S. have gotten stuck in filtration systems; out of those, 21 children have been injured by getting stuck. So it's no surprise that this little boy got trapped in that filter, but it is lucky that he didn't get hurt! And I bet he'll be WAY more careful around the pool from here on out.

 

Image via Manoel Netto/Flickr

Read More >