I wore a (ridiculously ugly) school uniform throughout middle school and high school, and, frankly, I hated every second of it. Looking back, however, I can see why it is a practical solution for many schools.
School districts across the country debate the issue of students wearing school uniforms. Some moms think this is a great idea; others strongly disagree. Here, they weigh the pros and cons of school uniforms versus regular clothes...
The pros of wearing a school uniform:
- SophiaofLight: It's cheaper for parents, and it evens things out between kids whose parents can buy them nice clothes and those that don't have a lot of money to spend.
- SloaneM: No decision-making in the morning, no "dressing better than the Jones'" competition in the hallway, no making fun of the "lame" students with no fashion sense, etc.
- Mommyx308: I think it teaches children respect and that there is a time and place for everything.
The cons of wearing a school uniform:
- SophiaofLight: I think teens need to go through some amount of rebellion and clothes are one of the safest and easiest ways to do it.
My3Babes: Kids express themselves through their clothes, and I say as long as they are wearing them in good taste then go for it.
- Wvnative: The equality thing is great but part of growing up is learning that some folks have more than others, and it doesn't make them better or worse either way.
- ThatTxMom: I am not raising robots, but individuals who I am trying to instill in them that they are each unique and blessed with different strengths.
Do your kids wear a uniform to school? Where do you stand on this issue?