If you can't go camping this summer, camping in the backyard is the next best thing! The official Great American Backyard Campout is this Saturday, but you and your family can pitch a tent in the yard any night during the summer. Here's everything you need to turn your backyard into an adventure-filled camp site...
- Tent (although some families prefer a camper, lean-to, or simply sleeping under the stars)
- Sleeping bags and pillows
- Flashlights or lanterns
- Cooking utensils
- Insect repellent
- Portable fire pit, camping stove, grill, or dry firewood and matches to make a campfire
- Hot dogs
- Foil-wrapped recipes (diced potatoes or rice, ground meat, can of cream soup divided into individual foil-wrapped servings and cooked over the fire or stove)
- Trail mix
- Cards or board games
- Ghost stories or songs around the campfire
- Fun with flashlights
- Looking at the stars
Has your family ever camped out in the backyard?