Today is World Autism Awareness Day (WAAD), a day to shine a bright light on the growing global health crisis. It is the hope of WAAD founding group Autism Speaks that this unified effort will help to increase world knowledge about autism, and consequently encourage earlier diagnosis and treatment.
Did you know...
- Approximately 67 million people worldwide are affected by autism
- Autism is the fasted growing serious developmental disability in the world
- More children will be diagnosed with autism this year that diabetes, cancer and AIDS combined
- Boys are four times more likely to have autism than girls
- There is no medical detection or cure for autism, but early diagnosis and intervention improves outcomes
On CafeMom alone I found at least 39 groups directly related to Autism Spectrum Disorders. If your child--or you--are living with ASD, you are not alone. If you have not already, we encourage you to get connected with other mothers here who share your concerns and issues. The following are some of the larger groups on CafeMom dedicated to understanding, coping with, and one day curing this mysterious condition (many groups are private and you will have to apply for membership).
Children with Special Needs;preemies,NICU,Cerebral palsy,feeding tube,Autism,ADHD,reflux,Asthma,heart,signing,brain injuries,speech,dev delays,RAD
Autism, Aspergers, Bipolar, PDD, ODD, OCD, ADHD, Panic Disorder, Semantic Pragmatic Disorder, Bird Flu
Are you raising a child with autism? Please tell us your story. All month long we will focus on shedding light and sharing information on Autism Spectrum Disorders.