If you are fortunate enough to have helpful, doting parents and/or in-laws in your children's lives (Hi Mom-Mom and G-Dad!), you will get a kick out of this article, "Wanna Know Who Grandparents Are--Ask a Cool Kid."
According to the article, the US Census bureau reports that over 1.3 million children are entrusted to their grandparents everyday. I'd bet it's way more than that! Blogger Lorette Young, a grandma who runs the site DailyScrewUps offered this hilarious (excerpted) list, "Who are Grandparents" –compiled from a class of 8-year-old children. It will make you think twice before you ever complain about something your kid's grandmother/father didn't do perfectly. In the eyes of kids, grandparents rock, baby!
- Grandparents are a lady and a man who have no little children of their own – but they like other people’s.
- A grandfather is a man, and a grandmother is a lady!
- When they take us for walks, they slow down past things like pretty leaves and caterpillars.
- They show us and talk to us about the colors of the flowers and also why we shouldn’t step on ‘cracks.’
- They don’t say, ‘Hurry up.’
- Usually grandmothers are fat but not too fat to tie your shoes.
- They wear glasses and funny underwear.
- They can take their teeth and gums out.
- Grandparents don’t have to be smart.
- They have to answer questions like ‘Why isn’t God married?’ and ‘How come dogs chase cats?’
- When they read to us, they don’t skip. They don’t mind if we ask for the same story over again.
- Everybody should try to have a grandmother, especially if you don’t have television because they are the only grownups who like to spend time with us.
- They know we should have snack time before bed time, and they say prayers with us and kiss us even when we’ve acted bad.
Do your children adore their grandparents?