High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), or the stuff in just about everything that would normally have sugar in it, often contains mercury! This is bad for everyone--but worse for teens because they tend to eat the most food with HFCS in it.
"Mercury is toxic in all its forms. Given how much high-fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source of mercury never before considered. We are calling for immediate changes by industry and the [U.S. Food and Drug Administration] to help stop this avoidable mercury contamination of the food supply," the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy's Dr. David Wallinga, a co-author of the mercury studies, said in a prepared statement.
Wallinga's group found that nearly one in three of 55 brand-name foods contained mercury. The chemical was found most commonly in HFCS-containing dairy products, dressings and condiments. Yup, there is HFCS in everything from soda to some salad dressing.
The Corn Refiners Association, the folks that make HFCS, say that they no longer use the agents that include mercury in it. However, the IATP told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that four plants in Georgia, Tennessee, Ohio and West Virginia still use "mercury-cell" technology that can lead to contamination.
Do your kids, especially teens, consume a lot of food with high fructose corn syrup in it?