Mom Warns That Fidget Spinner Sent Her Daughter to the ER


iStock.com/ThamKC
Unless you've been off the grid, you've probably seen the latest in kid toy crazes: the fidget spinner. Whether you believe they help children focus or you view them as the ultimate distraction, one mom is issuing a warning to parents after her 10-year-old daughter choked on a part of a fidget spinner and ultimately needed surgery to remove it. 

Advertisement

Kelly Rose Joniec shared her family's frightening ordeal on Facebook.

Her words are beyond chilling because so many kids are using these gadgets, and they apparently come apart all too easily. 

fidget spinner danger
Kelly Rose Joniec/Facebook
In case you can't picture what happened, Joniec also shared a photo that illustrates just how easily this could happen to any young child.

"Fidget spinner minus 2 of its bushings," she wrote on Facebook. "One is in the seats of my car, the other is somewhere in the GI tract of my 10-year-old."

fidget spinner danger
 Kelly Rose Joniec/Facebook

More from CafeMom: Fidget Spinners Aren't Just Annoying Toys -- They Actually Help Kids Learn

For the point of comparison, Joniec posted another photo to illustrate just how sizable this bushing is. 

fidget spinner danger
kelly Rose Joniec/Facebook
Yikes! That poor kid! We can only imagine how frightening this must've been for both mother and child.

More from CafeMom: 20 Kids' Toys That Offended or Creeped People Out

Luckily, Joneic's daughter ended up being okay, and now the mom is issuing a warning to other parents about the dangers of these popular toys.

fidget spinner danger
kelly Rose Joniec/Facebook

Of course, not everyone believes it was the toy's fault.

Commenters on Joniec's wall pointed out that putting random items in your mouth isn't a wise idea.

fidget spinner dangers
Facebook

More from CafeMom: Beautiful Photos Capture Final Days of 'Miracle' Twin's Life

fidget spinner dangers
Facebook
fidget spinner dangers
Facebook

As most parents know, you can tell children not to put something in their mouths a million times, but that doesn't mean they'll listen!

We're just glad this tween is okay, and we appreciate her mom's sharing the story. Hopefully it creates awareness of this potential danger and prevents another child from choking!

Read More >

You May Also Like

From Our Partners