Kareem Granton is an 11-year-old from Brooklyn who decided to run away from home because he didn't want to clean up after his dog. Oh my goodness, how I can relate. As a mom though. Don't worry, Kareem was found after five days. (Double oh my goodness there!) He's fine. But this whole story just makes me think how his mom deserves a five-day runaway of her own.
Parents want to run away, too, you know. And here are 10 highly understandable reasons we want a major break from our kids much better than not wanting to clean up after the dog. (Though many of us can relate to that as well.)
- Because there are only so many poopy underwears I can clean before I give up.
- Because I really just want to polish my nails and have them dry properly in peace. For once.
- Because I don't wannnnnnnna have to share my chocolate with her, darnit!!
- Because kids don't have an off button. And I have a migraine from lack of sleep.
- Because I have to go to the bathroom. The kind that I can't deal with interruptions or knocks on the bathroom door.
- Because ... wine.
- Because ... coffee.
- Because I just want one meal eaten at an acceptable pace while it's still hot. Please.
- Because it would be so nice to shower daily again.
- Because I really just want to have one whole hour to do ... nothing.
Can you relate? What would you add?
Image via Robert Kevin Moore/Flickr