"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." It's something we tell our kids all the time, but do we manage to follow the same rule? Never you mind about that! Do as I say, not as I do!! Uhhhh ... yeah. Unfortunately, moms are just as likely to let poorly chosen words fly in the heat of the moment as an ornery grade schooler -- in fact, more often than not, those poorly chosen words are directed at our very own ornery grade schoolers. Before I became a mom, I never dreamed of saying half of the probably permanently damaging things I've said to my kids. Sure, I've said them out of complete and utter exasperation, but is it ever okay to tell your daughter you're selling her to gypsies just as soon as you can track some down? Probably ... not.
At least I'm not the only poison-tongued mother out there. Here's the (anonymous, shame-filled) list of answers we got when we asked moms to tell us the worst thing they ever said to their kid:
2. "Shut the f*ck up!"
3. "Stop being such an asshole."
4. "SHUT the FRICK UP!"
5. "I'm sending you to Siberia to live with Tiger!" (As in Tiger The Brady Bunch dog, who was almost sent to Siberia by dad Mike Brady in one episode.)
6. "How did you turn out to be such a selfish, spoiled brat?"
7. "Clean up your room! You're getting to be as much of a slob as your father!!"
8. "Santa's dead!"
9. "Sometimes I think I took the wrong baby home from the hospital."
10. "I hope you like bread and water, because that's all they serve in reform school, and that's where you're going!"
See, you're not alone!!
What's the worst thing you've ever said to your kid?
Image via ThrasherDave/Flickr