12-Year-Old Girl Contracts Deadly Brain-Eating Amoeba While Swimming in a Lake (VIDEO)

The mother of little Kali Hardig is going through hell right now. Her 12-year-old just barely clings to life -- all because she went swimming in a local lake, something millions of kids do every summer. But Kali contracted a rare brain amoeba from the lake in Little Rock, Arkansas, which caused her to come down with deadly parasitic meningitis. If Kali survives, she'll only be the third known person to do so. Can you imagine?! She just went in a lake!

Parasitic meningitis can happen when the parasite, in this case one that congregates in fresh water sources such as lakes and rivers, and even sometimes in poorly chlorinated pools, enters the body through the nose. The parasite travels up through the nose into the brain and then begins to destroy tissue.

Initial symptoms include vomiting, fever, nausea, and stiff neck. Later symptoms include confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance, seizures, and hallucinations. It usually causes death within 1 to 12 days.

But miraculously, Kali has been hanging on to life for a week now. And her mom is campaigning to make people more aware of this terrible disease. She says:

You can still take your child swimming. We don't want to scare people. We just want you to know there are little things you can do to help them out. So they can go and still be a kid.

Ways to reduce your risk include wearing nose clips or holding the nose while under water, avoid swimming in fresh water during high temperatures or low water levels, and don't stir up sediment at the bottom of the water, which is where the parasite lives.

The nose plug sounds like the most realistic change to make to your swimming habits -- but do kids really want to wear a nose plug? Who wants to wear one? Still, it might be worth it.

Although contracting this brain amoeba is very rare, that is little comfort to Kali's family. I can't imagine having your healthy little girl splashing and playing one minute, and on the verge of death the next, all because of some parasite you'd probably never heard of.

Let's all hope Kali pulls through this.

Will you have your kids wear a nose plug now?

 

Image via ABC News

kid health

72 Comments

To add a comment, please log in with

Use Your CafeMom Profile

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Comment As a Guest

Guest comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.

Jan Wadkins Mobley

My thoughts and prayers are with this child and her family.

Laura Howard

So sad for this child and her family.  My son was just released from this hospital today, he got bit by a copperhead yesterday, and they have such a great supportive staff and knowledgable doctors.  I pray she pulls through and has no lasting effects.

Mark Crockett

Yes praying for her..But kind of like all moms..!-100,000..Pro test and try to close all water parks and lakes down in Arkansas are the US...You will lose..

nonmember avatar brittney

It wasnt a lake, it was a water park in little rock.

Robin P. Reissig

prayers for this child and her family.lesbians

Sheri Brebner

God Bless you Kali and your family. Praying you pull through this and tell everyone you know about this deadly disease. 

Brenda Watts

Thoughts and prayers go out to Kali and her family...I pray that Kali makes a full recovery... 

1-10 of 72 comments 12345 Last