13-Year-Old Girl Dies From Peanut Allergy After 1 Bite of Unmarked Dessert (VIDEO)

Natalie GiorgioIf you've ever been annoyed by a child's allergy because your kid couldn't take a peanut butter sandwich to school, or questioned if allergies are really as serious as they're made out to be, then you need to read this deadly story of beautiful 13-year-old Natalie Giorgi who died after taking one bite of a dessert. It's heartbreaking, eye-opening, and terrifying for those of us who have children with allergies

Her parents did all the right things when they learned she had a peanut allergy. She was raised to know that her allergy could be deadly and questioned everything she ate. Her parents carried EpiPens with them wherever they went. Sadly, none of that was enough to save the girl's life. 

According to the Sacramento Bee, Natalie was attending a family camp in Sacramento with her parents, two sisters, and brother last week. On the final night of camp Friday, she took a single bite of dessert -- a frosted Rice Krispies treat, which, unbeknownst to her, had peanut butter in it. She tasted it and spit it out right away after recognizing the taste of peanuts. Her mother immediately gave her Benadryl, but that small bite was too much.

Within 20 minutes, Natalie started vomiting and went into anaphylactic shock. Her father, a doctor, injected her with three EpiPens, but none of it worked. Paramedics arrived and took her to the hospital, but she was pronounced dead a couple of hours later.

More from The Stir: 12-Year-Old Girl Contracts Deadly Brain-Eating Amoeba While Swimming in a Lake (VIDEO)

With that one bite, her life was over. I simply can't even fathom what this family must be going through, how nothing they could do could save her. It's my worst nightmare.

My 4-year-old was diagnosed with a tree nut allergy earlier this year. It came out of the blue and has changed our world in many ways. I have the EpiPens; we check the labels; she knows to ask before she eats anything. But I wonder: Will it be enough?

Thought devastated, her parents hope that Natalie's death will help people understand how serious food allergies can be. In a statement they said:

While our hearts are breaking over the tragic loss of our beautiful daughter Natalie, it is our hope that others can learn from this and realize that nut and food allergies are life-threatening ... Caution and care for those (afflicted) should always be supported and taken.

Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

Does this story make you rethink allergies?

 

Image via News 10

in the news, kid health, safety, food

224 Comments

To add a comment, please log in with

Use Your CafeMom Profile

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Comment As a Guest

Guest comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.

nonmember avatar Eva

No it does not make me rethink it. My stance remains the same. I am fortunate enough to have 2 healthy kids with no food allergies. I have never been annoyed by the fact that my child may not bring certain foods to school/camp. I am happy to help keep children safe and so are my girls.

nonmember avatar Julia

I am so sorry for this families loss... HOWEVER, with a peanut allergy SO severe, how did no one there even ASK what was in the dessert AND if they did ask, but maybe no one knew or was unsure... why did she take even a bite? Why did the parents or the girl not read the label?
Clearly the product would of been marked if she could taste the peanut butter. This was not a case of "made in a facility that may contain peanuts". This is a very ,very horrible outcome to an allergy and my heart does break for the family.

Robcat21 Robcat21

I guess in hindsight, they should have taken her to the ER after the first bite. Maybe those twenty minutes between the first bite and her reaction would have been enough. Horrible tragedy. My prayers go out to her family.

nonmember avatar Tara

Does not change my stance one bit. It's a tragedy but again I am completely against banning peanuts across the board for one or two children. Thank fully the school district I live I does not require a ban. They make the 2 children out 450 in the school eat at a different time. problem solved. We are even allowed to provide a peanut snack for parties. When my child has parties I put on the invitation that the will be products that either have peanuts or have been made in a factory where there are nuts..therefore it's up to the parent to decide if the kid should attend or not.

nonmember avatar lisakphillips

@Julia - What part of homemade to you not understand?

nonmember avatar HCR1265

@TARA i agree. we live on the main line outside Philadelphia and our schools do not have a ban either. My son is type 1 diabetic. He wears an insulin pump and has to monitor himself. I cannot understand these parents who expect others to make sacrifices simply because their child has an allergy. When my son has parties we provide sugary EVERYTHING...he enjoys that his classmates do not feel they have to deprive themselves of something due to his condition. That actually makes children much more mature than telling them they cannot have something because of a few children and their intolerance to certain foods. As a mom who has had to watch her son like a hawk but be confident that I taught him well, I believe the parents and the child hold some culpability here. We are not talking about a 5 year old. She was 13 and knew better.

nonmember avatar Tara

@lisakphilips...then it's even more on the fault of the child. She is old enough to know what could kill her and unless she KNOWS 100% it does not contain peanuts she should refrain. It's tragic but I foresee some lawsuit or even worse a lifetime of guilt for the individual that made the snack.

nonmember avatar Mon

Sorry but the article says ot was prepared by someone not store bought. Why would she eat it knowing how allergic she was? Sucks for the family but they could have avoided it by asking what was in it.. it doesnt change any opinion I have. We love peanut butter and my kids will still take trail mix/ pb sammies to school.

nonmember avatar Anniesmom

As a mother to a child with a severe nut allergy I agree with those who say an overall ban is not fair to other kids. My daughter is 7, she attends a school where she is the only child with that condition. The entire school is made up of about 400 kids. I would never impose restrictions on other parent simply because my daughter has a life threatening allergy. It will make her more bullied and singled out. If you don't believe me that that happens then attend your child's class for a day. You need to teach them to be accountable for their choices how is banning something getting them ready for the real world?

I also agree the parents and this little girl, as tragic as it is are partly responsible. She was 13! My seven year old knows she should never take anything unless its given to her by myself or unless she KNOWS 100000000% it's safe.

Samfan97 Samfan97

HCR, an allergy is much different from diabetes. Your kid won't die if the kid next to him eats sugar; some kids with severe allergies are that allergic. This article doesn't change my stance at all as avoiding nuts, peanuts, etc is not that big of a deal to me if it will protect someone else's child

1-10 of 224 comments 12345 Last