Remember traveling before you had kids? Packing was a breeze: A few of your favorite wrinkle-free outfits, makeup/toiletries bag, Advil, iPod, a good book (Kindles weren't invented yet when I was still childless, okay?), maybe a protein bar or two, and you were good to go! Fast-forward to filling a suitcase (or several) with everything your family needs to survive sans the comforts of home: Wait a second, are we going on vacation or are we moving?!
It's true, there's really no such thing as traveling light when kids are involved. But if you plan ahead and keep organized, packing doesn't have to feel like punishment. Here are 25 things every mom should have on her spring travel checklist:
Stuff to keep 'em busy on the road (or plane):
1. Books (either actual books, a Kindle, or audiobooks on iPod -- remember headphones)
2. Travel games (such as magnetic bingo)
3. Coloring books or sketchbooks and colored pencils (won't stain or get all over fingers like markers/washable markers or melt into car seats like crayons)
4. Etch-a-Sketch or Magna Doodle
5. Mad Libs or Question & Answer games like Brain Quest
Stuff to keep 'em safe, comfortable & clean:
6. Baby wipes (no matter how old they are!)
7. Neosporin and Band-Aids
8. Anti-bacterial wipes
11. Bug spray
12. Anti-itch cream
14. Anti-nausea medicine/pressure point wristbands
15. Changes of clothes in case of accidents/spills
16. Benadryl (Epi-pen if necessary)
Stuff to keep disaster from striking:
19. Chargers for cellphone, camera, laptop, etc.
20. Printouts of reservations, tickets, etc.
Stuff to keep 'em full:
21. Individually packed healthy snacks (crackers, pretzels)
22. Dried fruit/fruit rolls (sturdier than fresh fruit)
23. Bottles of water
24: Granola bars
25: Lollipops (for take-off and landing if flying)
What are your spring travel checklist staples?
Image via Kristen Taylor/Flickr