6-Year-Old Boy Saves Family From Fast-Moving Fire That Burns Down the House (VIDEO)

OMG 3

6-year-old taylor hendrix

A 6-year-old boy is being hailed a hero this week after saving several of his family members from a house fire in Brownsville, Tennessee. Taylor Hendrix noticed the fire had broken out at his grandparents' house at around 4 a.m., and he quickly alerted them, and everyone managed to get out of the house safely.

In addition to Taylor, four other grandchildren were staying with Mike and Paula Brown in their 100-year-old home. Taylor says the fire "started in the attic and came down the chimney" -- and you'll never guess what he was doing at 4 a.m. that caused him to be awake and run to his grandparents' bedroom for help.

He'd either decided to pull an all-nighter or simply got up before the crack of dawn -- to play video games on the Xbox, of all things.

Take a look at this video clip to hear more about Taylor's quick efforts in alerting his family so they could escape the blaze.

 

What a great kid! Considering his grandfather says it only took 7 to 10 minutes for the home to burn to the ground, this story could've wound up being a huge tragedy had Taylor not been awake playing video games, or if he'd panicked and ran instead of waking up his grandparents right away.

As the mom of a 6-year-old (almost 7), I know I probably wouldn't be too thrilled if I came downstairs at 4 o'clock in the morning and found him sitting on the couch playing Xbox games. But in Taylor's case, somehow I'm guessing if he's ever up at that hour playing video games in the future, no one will dare to scold him for it.

Out of all the things those grandparents could possibly owe their lives to, odds are good the combination of an Xbox and their 6-year-old grandson was never on their list.

Do you think your child would think quickly and alert you if there were an emergency like a fire?

 

Image via WAFB

3 Comments

To add a comment, please log in with

Use Your CafeMom Profile

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Comment As a Guest

Guest comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.

Empty... EmptyNesting

Way to go Taylor!! :) As someone who knows just how hurtful a house fire to a family you did great :)

Crystal Dawn Bland

that little boy is a true hero. great story. sorry for the loss of their home and belongings but glad everyone is ok

lisa57 lisa57

A house and belongings can be replaced but a family is forever. Way to go little man.  I'm very sure the parents of this brave little boy will always be grateful to him for saving his family instead of running away and hiding and definitely will his grandparents for walking them up even though it was 4 a.m. The other 4 grandchildren (even though it doesn't say what their ages are) I'm sure will remember his heroism or be told about his bravery and saving them when their older (depending on how old they are/ their ages cause it doesn't say). I would be forever greatful to my children if that was one or both of them that saved our family. <3<3

1-3 of 3 comments