We parents wait anxiously for those first words. Then that first sentence. We dream of the day we can actually have a conversation with our precious little ones. But eventually, we all come to the startling realization that with all that chatter comes some inevitably embarrassing moments.
Take this recent incident for example. I was in the elevator of our apartment building with my son along with another mother and child. When the mom suggested we have a playdate, my darling kid said, “No. My mom says he’s mean and rude so you can’t come to my house.” I was mortified. I felt so bad. I know I'm not the only mom who has been there. I asked around. Here are the 10 most embarrassing things our kids say.
- As an overweight woman stops to compliment on how cute your DD is, DD says, "Oh mommy, that lady is really fat."
- During a playdate you hear your son telling his friend, "My mommy said she doesn't like your mommy." That mom happens to be in earshot too!
- "Grandma, why does mommy think you have a big nose?" DS says after overhearing you say your mother-in-law is nosy.
- Visiting a family member's home, you take your son to the bathroom and he loudly whines, "Iccckkkkk! This bathroom is nasty."
- When the minister remarks he hasn't seen the family in awhile, DS shares, "Mommy and daddy like to sleep on Sundays."
- While having dinner with the neighbors, your DD reveals, "I dropped all the rolls on the floor but mommy put them back on the plate."
- "My daddy poops with the door open," boasts DS during drop-off.
- As you grab the back of your son's pants to get him from under the restaurant table, he shouts very loudly, "You're touching my private parts!"
- "Mommy that man smelled really bad, like cat pee!" as a disheveled man walks by.
- As you bend down to help your child put on her coat at pick-up, she says, "Mommy, your breath smells rotten."
What embarrassing things have your children said?
Image via Mel B/Flickr