10 Most Cringe-Worthy Quotes About Moms in 2012
by Maressa Brown
December 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Victories at the polls proved that 2012 was an amazing year for all women. But that's not to say there weren't also discouraging moments in the headlines along the way. Moments that could easily make you worry that we as women and as moms haven't made as much progress as we'd like to think we have.
From Ann Romney's remarks about working moms to totally OMG statements about how "selfish" all moms are, here are the most cringe-worthy, disparaging, all-around worst "mommy war" quotes about moms from the past year ...
- Hilary Rosen's remark that SAHM Ann Romney, who raised five sons, "never worked a day in her life" was a doozy that set off one helluva firestorm back in April!
- But let's not forget some of the asinine, polarizing quotes that came out of Mrs. Romney's mouth on the campaign trail, like this gem: "I love the fact that there are women out there who don’t have a choice and they must go to work and they still have to raise the kids. Thank goodness that we value those people too. And sometimes life isn’t easy for any of us." Uh, whaaaa?
- Former parenting magazine editor Lauren Passell recently wrote, "Moms are actually the most selfish people in the universe." As someone who zero parenting experience and is confesses to be "no fan of children," she should totally know, right?
- We were shocked and dismayed to learn last month that a breastfeeding teacher's manager allegedly told her to "train her breasts not to make milk," and that she was given a poor evaluation because of her fight for her rights, then urged to resign from her teaching position. Ugh.
- Rupert Everett should get a black mark from us all for criticizing gay moms and dads by saying, "There's nothing worse than gay parents."
- In an attempt to get a guest on his show to reiterate her opinion, Anderson Cooper incited ire by asking: "You're saying that stay-at-home moms are lazy?!" Eep!
- Michelle Bachmann, undoubtedly one of the nutballiest politicians on the scene in early 2012, had to go and piss us off with this doozy: "One thing I know is when women are home full-time they have a better pulse on the economy than probably their husband has."
- On their controversial attachment parenting cover that ran in May, Time Magazine had to go and ask us all the uber-loaded question, "Are You MOM ENOUGH?" Cue the crazed parent vs. parent chaos that went on for at least two weeks following!
- Writer Elizabeth Wurtzel wrote a piece in TheAtlantic back in June claiming, "1% Wives Are Helping Kill Feminism and Make the War on Women Possible." Uh, no?!
- Single moms were right to be appalled by Mitt Romney when, in the second presidential debate, somehow linked them to gun violence by saying, "But let me mention another thing, and that is parents. We need moms and dads helping raise kids. Wherever possible, the – the benefit of having two parents in the home." Oookay!
What was the worst quote about moms you heard all year?
Image via Marc Nozell/Flickr
Click "Like" for more on issues that are important to moms.