I was scared shitless when I found out I was pregnant with my third child. My mind raced with thoughts of impending morning sickness, sleepless nights, and college saving funds. I was an absolute mess for weeks. Months, actually. One of the first thoughts that brought a smile to my face was the prospect of outfitting three children for Halloween. Visions of Three Blind Mice, the Three Stooges, and the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe danced in my mind. Head over toilet, my future threesome’s costumes made it all seem worth it.
Unfortunately, my children-to-be had other plans. Never once have they all agreed to any of my wonderful homemade themed costumes, instead lusting after cheap polyester costumes that make no sense in a set at all. The older they get, the worse the costumes are becoming. It's the ultimate Halloween tragedy.
In case your children are far more agreeable than mine, here are some ideas for you ...
1. The Wizard of Oz. The most classic of costumes and no child of mine will go near any of them. We even have our own real live Toto this year, dammit!
2. Dr. Seuss and Thing 1 and Thing 2. Too literary, I fear.
3. The Mad Hatter, Cheshire Cat & Alice.
4. Fred, Daphne & Scooby Doo. I mean. c'mon. Who doesn't love Scooby?!
5. Peter Pan, Captain Hook & Tinkerbell. I'd even let them fly off the furniture for the perfect photo!
6. Alvin, Simon & Theodore. Care to suck a helium balloon, kids?
7. The Three Little Pigs. Seems so fitting with all the candy they consume.
8. Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker & Princess Leia.
9. Three's Company? Yes, I realize it's way before their time, but I would love it.
10. And, my ultimate dream: Me as Goldilocks and them as the Three Bears.
Now excuse me while I try and figure out how to come up with a Katy Perry costume that's appropriate for my 8-year-old. Sob.
Image via Scary Mommy