If you have a school aged child, then you know all too well that sometimes there is definitely a hidden meaning behind the various things they tell you on a daily basis.
My son gives me all sorts of excuses for trying to get out of cleaning up the playroom, finishing his dinner, and squeezing in a few extra minutes of playtime before going to bed. But now that summer is winding down and it's almost time for him to go back to school, I know that I'm going to have to wise up even more when it comes to deciphering his messages & figuring out what he really means with certain statements.
Here's a list of what I imagine a lot of us will probably hear come out of our kids' mouths -- and what they're really doing or saying versus what they tell us is going on.
1. "Mom, I can walk to the bus stop by myself. I'm a big kid now!"
"Good grief, Mom. Please don't walk me down to the bus stop or you'll embarrass the hell out of me and I don't want the cool kids on the back of the bus to think I'm a mama's boy."
2. "Can you please pack me two different kinds of snacks in my lunch? I'm not sure which one I want."
"I trade everything you send in my lunch box for junk food filled with high fructose corn syrup & preservatives & stuff that you refuse to buy. The more snacks you pack, the more of the good stuff I can score."
3. "I don't have any homework today because we had a sub."
"None of us in the class listen to the sub, so if she did give us homework, I certainly didn't pay attention to the assignment. The regular teacher will just re-assign it tomorrow anyway."
4. "I don't feel so well -- my tummy hurts."
"Maybe if I threaten to puke, you won't make me go to school. And I really don't want to go to school because there's a Scooby Doo marathon on TV I'd rather lay on the couch all day & watch."
5. "Mooommmm! Five more minutes and I swear I'll get ready!"
"Maybe if I keep asking for five more minutes, she'll forget that I have to go to school entirely."
6. "I'm only putting these action figures in my backpack to show them to my friends on the bus."
"Sucka! I knew I'd figure out a way to get these things to school to show them off at recess."
7. "Can I please have a piece of gum? I'll spit it out before the bus gets here, I promise."
"I didn't brush my teeth this morning and I have no intention of going back upstairs to do it."
8. "Can you pack me a lunch and give me some lunch money, please? You know, in case I forget my lunch on the bus?"
"I'm throwing out the lunch you packed with healthy stuff and buying gooey cheese pizza and chocolate chip cookies instead. But maybe if you still pack me a lunch, you won't catch on."
9. "Um, I left my report card at school. I'll bring it home tomorrow, I promise."
"You're not going to like what you see on my report card, so I'm leaving it at school until you show up there & pick it up yourself."
10. "My feet hurt. I think I need new sneakers again."
"Joey's new kicks are way cooler than mine, so now I want a new pair to show him up."
What kinds of things do your kids say that have hidden meanings?
Image via Mary Fischer