Can you believe it's already time to think about back to school shopping? I have to admit -- I'm not sure that I'm quite ready to trade in my son's flip-flops and swim trunks for the boots and jeans, but considering how fast summer has blown by, fall will be here before we know it.
But shopping for back to school duds can be pretty overwhelming and also a bit boring, especially if you have a 6-year-old who could care less about trying on clothes and finding the perfect fit for the coming school year.
The best way to tackle back to school shopping is to stick to the basics and make a list of essentials that you know your child will need (and wear) throughout those first few months.
More from The Stir: 10 Savvy Back-to-School Shopping Survival Tips
Here are 10 things you need to purchase on your back to school shopping trip to make sure your child is fashionably dressed when he/she hops back on that school bus in a few weeks.
1. Basic blue jeans -- You really can't go wrong with three or four pairs of standard jeans that fit your child like a glove. I usually buy the exact same style so there's no guesswork involved when getting my son dressed in the morning.
2. New kicks -- A clean pair of brand new sneakers is a must for starting off the school year right. Save the worn out, grass-stained summer pair for playing in the yard -- not for wearing in the classroom.
3. Lightweight jacket -- Chillier temperatures will be here before we know it, so make sure to buy your child a windbreaker or other lightweight jacket until it's time to dig out the winter coats.
4. Basic t-shirts -- Standard front-pocket t-shirts in an array of colors are the perfect tops to pair with jeans on any given day of the week.
5. Khaki pants -- Khakis go with everything and are a bit more polished looking than jeans for days when your kid wants to dress up a bit or has a school function.
6. Button-down shirts/blouses -- School picture day is right around the corner after the first day of school arrives, so make sure you're ready by picking up a polished shirt or blouse.
7. Sweatshirt or hoodie -- Having something to keep your child warm during cool days on the playground is a must for sure.
8. Raincoat -- A raincoat is one of those things you don't realize just how badly you need it until you're soaking wet -- and the same is true for kids.
9. Loafers or dress shoes -- Yet another essential thing your child will need when school functions pop up -- a pair of shoes that is a step-up from sneakers.
10. After-school clothes -- Make sure to have a few sets of clothes for your kids to change into after they get home from school. The last thing you need is all of their good school clothes getting stained & ruined so you have to go shopping again.
Have you started your back to school shopping yet?
Image via Sean Locke Photography/shutterstock