Road trips can be fun for the whole family -- if you are prepared. That means being armed with snacks, a map of rest stops for potty breaks, and most importantly, a bunch of cool activities that keep everyone in the car entertained (aka whine-free).
And you don't have to break the bank to do it. Here are the 9 best -- and cheapest -- travel games you shouldn't leave home without.
- 52 Fun Things to Do in the Car Activity Deck From silly songs to tongue twisters and even crafts ideas, this stack of games will keep everyone engaged. (creativekidsstuff.com, $6.95)
- License Plate Lingo The goal is to come up with a phrase using the letters in license plates of cars passing by. For example, WTD 243 might be "Walk The Dog" or IBB 667 can become "I'll Be Back." Expect lots of creativity and a ton of giggles. Best part is, it's free!
- Pipe Cleaner Creatures Pick up a pack of the fuzzy strips and build every animal in the zoo. (amazon.com, $4.99)
- Travel Blurt! A family vocab-building word game that lets you shout-out-loud. Players take turns reading clues and everyone blurts out the answer. (creativekidsstuff.com, $12.99)
- Hasbro Connect 4 Travel Fun on the Run You can transfer family game night to the back seat with this miniature version of the classic. (amazon.com, $7.27)
- Aluminum Foil Fun Time Take along a tube of foil and get creative crafting little animals, jewelry, hats, superhero accessories, and more. (walmart.com, $5.38)
- Would You Rather...? This family-friendly edition will have the entire car rolling with laughter. (target.com, $10.79)
- I Spy Go old-school with this long-time favorite all ages can play. In case you forgot how to play, it starts off like this: “I spy, with my little eye, something beginning with A”, and the other players have to guess what object you can see. Also free!
- ThinkFun Zingo to Go It's like a portable bingo game but you don't have to worry about all those annoying chips. (amazon.com, $11.82)
Image via Travis Hornung/Flickr