For every kid excited to head back to school, there are probably five who are scheming for ways to stay home. Whether it's the classic "I'm sick" or the pretending to wait for the school bus and hiding behind the hedge maneuver, kids have always tried to pull a fast one on their parents. In fact, one might worry if their child didn't try to come up with a great (or lame, more likely) excuse to skip a day here and there of reading, writing, and 'rithmetic.
Some of the most inspired sick day excuses come from real life, and these moms volunteered to out their kids' best shots at staying home and skipping homework. Gone are the days of clammy hands, these kids are sophisticated and can't wait to try and fool you.
While your kid is perfecting his best Ferris Bueller, try some of these on for size.
1. Trying to convince mom it was a holiday, and therefore there was no school. What holiday, exactly? Josh Appreciation Day. (Says Josh.)
2. Why should I go to school today, mom? After all, " ... she had already been to school every day for a whole week." A WHOLE WEEK.
3. "I have chest pains," says a grade schooler.
4. And in other health-related business, "I think I ate gluten," says the daughter of a celiac (who is totally fine eating gluten, btw).
5. And a twist on the old classic, "The dog ate my homework, and then we had to take her to the vet. She unfortunately didn't make it."
What are the best sick day excuses your child has ever given you or a teacher?
Image via Jason Dunnivant/Flickr