Any day you can send your kid off to school wearing a giant Cat in the Hat hat is a good one in my book. But celebrating Dr. Seuss' birthday at most local schools means a plate of green eggs and ham (you find out quickly which kids think that's cool and which ones go running for the toilet) and maybe a few minutes of circle time with a copy of One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.
For a guy who dominated my childhood, that's just not enough. When my kid gets home from school (hopefully with that red and white striped hat still intact), we're going to break out the books. I want to find out what her favorite Dr. Seuss quotes are, because they seem to tell a lot about a person.
In fact, here are some of the most famous -- and what they mean about you (and your kids).
1. “Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.”
You're an optimist. Even if today wasn't so fun, you know there's another one around the corner.
2. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.”
You're open-minded about the human race and willing to give everyone a chance.
3. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
You're a romantic.
4. “Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!”
You're logical -- because only someone who has a sense of logic could follow that one!
5. “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”
You are into daily affirmations. Maybe a life coaching job in the future?
6. “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”
You're confident and self-assured. You've given up caring what other people think because you have a high measure of self worth (and you probably tend to make a lot of people mad -- I should mention this is one of my favorites).
7. "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
You're a do-gooder. Which is good; the world needs more of these!
8. "Poor empty pants with nobody inside them."
You're whimsical (and well-read -- What Was I Scared Of? is one of Seuss' lesser known works).
What's your favorite quote?
Image via katerha/Flickr