Kids Are Getting Burned & It's the Parents We Should Blame

hot soupSome things are just common sense: Kids need to be in car seats. Check. Those car seats need to be used correctly. Kids shouldn't touch the stove. Children should not play in the road. Don't stick a fork in an electrical outlet. I mean, these things are SIMPLE. Right?

So, I'm really struggling to understand why ER doctors are seeing two to three cases per week of people -- mostly toddlers! -- who have been burned badly by instant soup mixes. One D.C. hospital said sometimes they'll see six of these burns a week! I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't another common sense item "Do not hand small children things that will burn them?"


These burn worse than a normal liquid burn, because the hot noodles stick to the skin. Kids are being burned on arms, chest, torso, sometimes even genitals and legs, from them spilling the soups or pulling them down on themselves.

Look, I have a tornado toddler. She hurts herself on a regular basis. She got stitches on her head from falling off her chair onto a clean, smooth floor. Just this last week, she learned how to unlock the dishwasher (yes, it was locked) and got out a butcher knife and cut her finger (I blame Milwaukee for giving her the idea).  But, that doesn't mean that I don't take precautions. We strap furniture that could tip to the walls, cover doorknobs to rooms with things that could hurt her, I only cook on back burners and put anything hot WELL out of her reach and I'd never give my kids something that I couldn't hold my finger in for a couple seconds without pain.

Worse is it doesn't seem like all of these accidents are accidents. Kids are being given food that's just way too hot. In fact, a study tested many cups to see exactly at what angle they'd tip over:

soup spilling

Okay, so obviously, there's some flaw in top-heavy flimsy cups. And no, people won't just pour them into a bowl -- that totally removes the convenience factor people are going for. But even that "Nicecook" brand up there that has to be WAAAAY tipped before it flips won't make a lick of difference if the liquid in it is being handled to a toddler when it's still too hot. Besides, if the hot noodles plus liquid sticking to skin are the issue, even a careful child who just has the noodle on their chin, or fall on their lap, will then get burned.


But we can't blame the manufacturers or cup design if we aren't taking the proper precautions ourselves. Kids can be burned by anything over 120, their skin burns faster than ours, and burns are more serious on their thin skinned-bodies. Just be careful. Be smarter.

Do you think it's the manufacturers to blame, or parents?


Images via D.L./Flickr ; Journal of Burn Care & Research

Read More >