I used to have a love-hate relationship with the beauty product area of department stores. I loved it because being surrounded by makeup makes me happy but I'd always be tempted to spend money (not to mention coming out smelling like seven different scents). But after reading this article from Allure, I've learned that I don't have to spend money to get some good stuff. Here are some tips at scoring freebies:
- Don't treat it like an all-you-can eat buffet.
- Let the salesperson know what you're looking for, what colors you like, your skin type, etc. That way they can give you samples that will work for you.
- Be upfront about wanting to test something out first. Salespeople realize finding the right makeup can be tricky, heck, that's what samples are for!
- If you do plan on buying something, be on the lookout for items that come with free gifts.
- Do your research. Check online and see if and when any of your favorite brands are having promotions.
- If you are going out for the night or just want to look extra fabulous, some counters have free makeup sessions. They'll show you how to apply your makeup, often times doing half of your face and then letting you try to do the other half. A friend of mine in high school did this for prom. Her makeup looked amazing, and it didn't cost her a dime!
Have you ever tried this? What are your favorite beauty counters to hit up for samples?