Photo by BobMariah
Kiss without chemicals!
No one wants to put chemicals on their lips. Green by Nature lipstick is my new favorite, but if you're into making some homemade balm, I've got a recipe for you.
You will need:
- 2 teaspoons of beeswax
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon of oil (use grapeseed, olive, avocado, or hemp)
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 Vitamin E capsule
- 5 drops of essential oil (like citrus, cinnamon, or peppermint -- remember you will taste this since it's on your lips so make sure it's something you like)
- Lip balm containers (found here) or use an old lip balm container or small jar, cleaned
- Pipettes or dropper (found here) or you can use a funnel with a slow and steady hand
How to make:
- To melt the beeswax, use a double boiler on low heat. You can also use a heat-safe glass bowl placed in a saucepan partially filled with boiling water. When melted, add either grapeseed, olive, avocado, or hemp oil.
- Remove mixture from heat and whisk in honey and the contents of vitamin E capsule (pierce with a pin or scissor tip and squeeze out), whisking until there are no clumps.
- Let mixture slightly cool, but not harden, before adding approximately five drops of essential oil.
- Use pipette, dropper, or funnel to pour into container and keep container sill until fully hardened.
- Once hardened, you'll have some homemade lip balm!
- Extra tip: Use a sprinking of coco powder or Kool Aid to add some color to your balm!
Have you ever made homemade lip balm before? Share your tips!