Getting a manicure not only makes your nails look great, but it's super relaxing, too. But it's also calming when you have some private moments to yourself to do your own nails at home -- plus you're saving some money.
So maybe after you tuck the kids into bed, you can make some tea, put on some soft music, and get ready to pamper yourself with an at-home manicure. Here's how to do it like the pros do....
- Remove old polish. Take off old color by soaking cotton balls with a polish remover like Cutex Non-Acetone.
- Cut and file nails to your length of choice.
- Rest hands in a bowl of soapy warm water for two minutes. If you have your kid's marbles around, throw a couple in the bowl. That's what they have at the salon, right?
Apply cuticle oil and use a cuticle or Popsicle stick to press cuticles back. Instead of cuticle oil, you can use a squirt of vitamin E.
Photo from Essie
- Clean nails of any lotion with a Q-tip soaked in the polish remover.
- Apply a base coat first, then apply two thin coats of polish. Finish with a top coat. Essie Nail Color makes some great shades...I love their new gold color called Shifting Power.
- Now sit back, hope the baby doesn't start crying, and enjoy the music and tea while your nails dry.
Great idea (and color) to get your nails ready for New Year's Eve, too!
Do you have any other tips to share on how to do an at-home manicure?