As women, we all have a different way we like to get fancy. Whether it's just your average day or a jazzy night on the town -- a fresh face of makeup or the right outfit can totally change a lady's attitude for the better. The only problem? Sometimes things we think look fabulous, well, they're actually sort of a nuisance. And the person who may notice more than you like? Your man.
Whether it's clumpy mascara or caked-on foundation, check out these 6 major beauty fails that are major turn-offs, and how to fix them.
1. Clumpy mascara: Sure, an extra coat of mascara can really amp up those lashes and add some pizzazz to your look. But one-too-many coats of the thick stuff can make you look like a Twiggy wannabe (and NOT in the good way).
The fix? Run a lash comb through your lashes before heading out the door. A super cheap investment ($15, sephora.com), you're much better spending the money than walking out a clumptastic mess.
2. Self-tanner overload: Oh man. There's nothing worse than a harsh orange complexion.
The fix? The best way to get rid of a bad glow is exfoliating. Try your best to use a mild exfoliant with a loofah so you're not over-irritating the skin. If that doesn't work, taking a dip in a pool (the chemicals, including chlorine, help strip skin of the coloring) can do wonders.
3. Foundation gone wrong: Foundation can be your best friend, covering up an uneven complexion in just seconds. But caking on too much is never a good look, especially if it ends up on your man's collar.
The fix? Try using something lighter to even out your skin tone, like a CC cream. Kill two birds with one stone using Sephora's CC Care and Color Cream ($25, sephora.com) that combines coverage with moisture for a smooth appearance.
4. Smokey eye disaster: There's no arguing that the perfect smoky eye is an acquired and talented skill. A few wrong sweeps of the brush, and your eye makeup will look like a costume rather than sexy.
The fix? Take the time to go to your local beauty store or department store makeup counter and get a little lesson. The makeup artists are usually more than willing to teach you a thing or two, whether or not you want to buy the product.
5. Smeared lipstick: Oh man. There's nothing more embarrassing than going for some drama with a bold lipstick and having it smear all across your face without knowing the damage is done. Sure, men love lookin' at a good set of lips, but the LAST thing they want is that bold look on their face or, even worse -- their clothing. (Hey, sometimes you just can't control yourself, right?)
The fix: Go through the extra steps to make sure your lipstick is set and won't rub off. Check out these no-smudge lipstick tricks; your man will appreciate the gesture.
6. Stiff hair: We don't blame you for wanting to make sure your style stays put. But he might. There's nothing sexy about your man going to grab your strands in a fit of passion and getting a handful of what feels like plastic.
The fix: If you need to cement down your style, opt for a loose hold hairspray like Herbal Essences Naked Flexible Hold Spritzer ($5.99, soap.com). This will give you the flexibility and hold of your favorite heavy product, without the hard-to-touch exterior.
What are the most frightening beauty fails you've ever seen? What crimes are you guilty of yourself?
Going to baseball games
Riding bike rides in the nice weather
Playing outside after work/school
Going for walks outside