With the holidays approaching, there's a good chance a lot of us will find ourselves on planes. Dry-aired; germ-filled; over-crowded planes, where the unsaltiest thing to eat is a bag of double-sodium peanuts. Sure, traveling is fun, but getting wherever we're going can wreak havoc on our appearance. (How do celebs always look so chic after getting off a nine-hour flight?!)
I've got some tips for you, world-traveling buddy. Easy tips. Here are 6 ways to look seriously stylish while traveling. Bon voyage!
1. Apply self-tanner on your face before you board. I read this in some magazine article years ago -- I believe it was Donna Karan or Bobbi Brown who does this. Applying a little self-tanner on your face while you're getting ready to leave for the airport will allow the color to develop while you're in the air. Then, after you disembark and look at yourself in that horrid airport bathroom lighting, you'll be pleased to see you've got a nice glow going on. It's like a vacation before your vacation.
2. Don't use Evian mist. For years I was spraying myself with those travel-sized Evian mists while up in the air under the assumption that it would help keep my skin hydrated. While a blast of cool water to the face always feels refreshing, a friend (who knows a lot about beauty) told me that a better option is a hydrating spray -- one with actual moisturizing agents. A good (affordable) option is Boots No7 Hydrating Water Spray.
3. Brush yo' teeth. Nothing can make a person feel ickier and less glam than stale breath. Never board a plane without a travel toothpaste and toothbrush.
4. Wrinkle spray. If you're on a long flight, your clothes are not going to look as they did when you arrive at your destination as they did when you first boarded the plane. It's basic science. Instead of going the celeb route (bringing a change of clothes), pack a de-wrinkler spray and look like you were never sitting in a cramped seat for four hours when you land.
5. Keep your clothes simple. Thousands of miles up in the air isn't the time to try out the latest trends. Keeping clothing simple -- yet fashionable and comfortable -- is a surefire way to always look chic when traveling. Something like black leggings, a Breton striped shirt, black booties, and a thick cardigan is perfect.
6. Go easy on the makeup. Save the blush and eyeliner for after you land. A full face of makeup likely won't stay in place when you're sitting on a plane for hours on end -- especially when you're misting your face with a hydrating spray.
How do you stay stylish while traveling?
Images via Vittorio Zunino Celotto/Getty/Daniel Grill/Tetra Images/Corbis