As much as it pains me to say this, summer is on the outs. Sadly, long days at the beach and hours of basking in the sunshine enjoying the occasional ice cream cone will soon be a thing of the past (until next year, of course). The good news? That doesn't mean a classic summer hairstyle has to go, too. Beach waves. Seriously, who doesn't love that effortless, tousled look of loose waves?
Great for summer and all year round -- one person in particular has this look down perfectly: Teen Mom star Kailyn Lowry. Seriously, is she some sort of hair goddess or something? First she perfects the sock bun, now this?
Want to get Kailyn's waves in a flash? Then check out 5 tips to sexy beach waves, here:
1. The cut helps: When it comes to the best beach wave style, often long hair is the ultimate desire. Long hair with long layers, to be exact. The long layers are going to help create different lengths. Plus, getting rid of extra weight will help.
2. Test out a salt spray. The natural secret to awesome beach waves is salt water. Lucky for all of us, there are a bazillion companies that sell salt sprays to help you achieve the same look without jumping in the ocean. My favorite? Bumble and Bumble's Surf Spray ($15, sephora.com). If you're willing to try making your own at home, you can attempt this easy DIY salt spray tutorial from Free People.
3. Braid a little: Put a little salt spray into your hair, then dry with a diffuser for five minutes. Your strands should still be damp. Then, give yourself two pigtail braids, down each half of your head. Sleep with the braids in, take 'em out in the morning, and bam! Large waves, perfection!
4. Pick up a curling iron: Wrapping your hair around the barrel of a curling iron without utilizing the clamp is an easy way to achieve loose, sexy waves. Just be careful! Obviously, the device is very hot!
5. Hold still: Just like with any style, you want to make sure you give your look an extra zap of hairspray to keep everything in place. Remember: The beach waves should look sexy, not crispy. Opt for a gel-based styling spray that will allow your hair movement.
Are you a beach wave fan?
Image via kaillowry/Instagram