When warm weather finally rolls around every year, I'm always so excited to bust out cute summer clothes and hide my Uggs and wool coats FAR AWAY. But I have to admit, by about this time of the season, I've definitely slipped back into what I think of as a "mommy uniform" rut -- only it's the summer version. (Winter involves those Uggs plus an endless supply of yoga pants.) I work from home, so there's not a lot of "necessity" for me to get dressed up very much, but I'm starting to feel like deja vu in the same flip-flop + denim skirt or pair of shorts + tank top combo every day!
Even if you don't have anywhere special to go, it still feels good to shake things up and take a little extra effort with your outfit. I always feel more energized and efficient if I also feel "put together." Here are 5 easy ways to upgrade your "uniform"!
1. Add a fun statement necklace to your T-shirt or tank top. It's amazing how much it will really amp up your whole look. This Coldwater Creek "tropic drops" long necklace will instantly chic-ify the plainest T-shirt! (On sale for $44.99 + 60% off at coldwatercreek.com)
2. Swap out your flip-flops for a sassy, sexy pair of sandals, like the Steve Madden "Flipper" low wedges pictured above. The gold metallic accent is hawt, and these will still work great with jeans in the fall. ($50 at Piperlime) Aerosoles ultra cute "Alphabyet" sandals are also ultra-comfortable -- you won't miss your flip-flops! (On sale for $39.99 at Aerosoles.com)
3. Ditch your shorts/skirt and top altogether for a cool summer dress. There are a bunch at that link, but also check out this AVON blue goddess dress. Comfy, flattering, and affordable! ($20 at shop.avon.com)
4. Upgrade your bag. Places like Marshalls, T.J. Maxx, Annie Sez, and Ross are great for finding cute, affordable bags (often even designer bags!). That fabulous fuchsia tote pictured above is available now at Marshalls for $69 (compare at $120). I also love this denim and sequin striped tote from Gap. (On sale for $39.99, plus they're offering an extra 40% off sale items at Gap.com)
5. Do your hair! Like, really "do" it, as opposed to sticking it up in a ponytail or one of those messy buns. Treat yourself to a blow-out or haul out your hot-rollers or experiment with pretty braided hairstyles. It's worth it, even just for a day doing errands and hanging out with your kids!
Do you have a mommy uniform?