The neon trend looks great on celebrities and runways, but can be a little daunting when it comes to real life style. No one wants to come off as a bad acid trip from 1985, amirite? There are some really easy tricks and tips to keep in mind when it comes to working neon into your wardrobe -- something that's totally doable in a very chic and grown-up way, while still being fun and bright!
1. Head-to-toe neon? No. But you don't really need ME to tell you that, right? Your best bet is to go with one or two neon pieces in your total outfit. Less is (usually) more.
2. Let your feet do the neon work. I love neon sandals for summer, like these Dolce Vita Appollo flats: ($41.30 at DolceVita.com)
Or these Seychelles Strike a Chord Pump in Vacchetta/Neon Yellow would be gorgeous for going out or even the office: ($80 at Amazon.com)
3. Mix your neon item with something neutral, like black, white, cream, navy or regular denim. This hot pink neon blouse by Joe's Jeans is to DIE FOR, and look how cute it is with jeans: ($132 at ShopStyle.com)
And these Madewell Thompson shorts in "lace blossom" look great with a casual, navy tee: (On sale for $54.99 at Madewell.com)
4. Go bold with a neon blazer. You can pair this GORGEOUS inset shawl lapel soft jacket from Express in "hot and spicy" with so many things, from cute summer dresses to work oufits to skinny jeans and tank tops. And if you can pull off the coordinating shorts, more power to you! ($128 at Express.com)
5. Look for a "faded" neon. A more subtle, yet still bright and chic, look is a slightly faded neon, like these Gap 1969 legging skimmer jeans in "neon flamingo." These will be wearable from now right into next spring (they'll be super cute paired with flat riding boots when it gets cold!).
6. Of course, there are other accessories besides shoes. Give your outfit a zap of neon with jewelry, bags, and even scarves. I have a pair of neon rose earrings like these, from Etsy seller LaViebyVie and I absolutely LOVE them: ($16 for a set of three!)
7. Last but certainly not least: Go for a neon manicure or pedicure!
Do you own any neon clothes or accessories?