Oh summer how I love you and your beautiful sunshine, flowy dresses, and ice cream cones. You know what I don't love, though? What you do to my skin. True story: summer skin can be an absolute nightmare. Why's that? Well, intense heat means a whole lot of sweat. A lot of sweat translates to breakout central.
So how can you amp up your summer skincare routine to prevent summer breakouts? Not to worry. Check out our 5 ways to keep your skin from breaking out:
1. Pick the right sunscreen: When it comes to picking the right sunscreen for your face, SPF is only one factor to consider. Different sunscreens work best with different skin types. If you have very sensitive skin, try something like Dermalogica Super Sensitive Faceblock, which is light enough to go under makeup and provides SPF 30 protection. If you have oily skin, opt for Ain't Misbehavin' Skin Clarifying & Mattifying Sunscreen. It features willow bark, which helps clarify blemish-prone combination skin.
2. Get toned: Using a great toner helps shrink pores -- which is key to keep out dirt-clogging sweat and toxins. Plus, it's super refreshing for your face after spending hours in the sun. My go-to for years has been Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Toner for Sensitive Skin. The best part? It's under $5!
3. Be ready on-the-go: After spending hours out and about on a summer day, you're not always running home to clean up and wash off the dirt and grime from your skin. Help prevent breakouts by traveling with oil blotting papers, like these Sephora Blotting Papers with vitamins C and E, to soothe agitated skin.
4. Deep clean: Ahhh, my favorite step. I recently tried out a Clarisonic Mia 2, and honestly, I don't know how my skin routine existed without it. I love the way my skin feels after the minute-long scrub session. After just a few weeks use, I can visibly see a reduction in the size of my pores. Trust me, there's nothing better than breakin' this baby out after a long day tanning by the river. Nothing.
5. Be ahead of the game: The goal here is to prevent breakouts in the heat. The best way to do that? Prepping the areas of your face that are most prone to breakouts by using a cream or gel with benzoyl peroxide. My go-to? Clinique Acne Solutions Emergency Gel-Lotion. Ideal for literally all skin types, it works like a dream, I promise.
How do you prevent summer breakouts?