White jeans are one of the BEST items for summer -- and no, they're not totally impractical, nor are they only for the super skinny amongst us! White jeans come in a plethora of styles, but two of the most flattering and versatile are the boyfriend cut and a straight-up skinny jean. Here are some tips for finding a pair that looks great on you, and what to wear them with.
But first, do you know the secret weapon you must have if you want to wear white jeans?
A stain remover pen! No joke. I carry my Tide To Go Pen with me at all times anyway, but they're particularly handy when you're wearing white. Ok, onward!
- A somewhat looser, "boyfriend" style jean looks casual yet crisp. A pair of well-fitting boyfriend jeans will have enough give in the fabric that they're comfortable to move around in. However, they shouldn't be too stretchy because structure is flattering.
- If you're between sizes, go up!
- With the boyfriend jean, I prefer a straight leg, rather than a tapered. The overall effect is more becoming because the bottom balances out the top.
I absolutely love the LOFT cropped white boyfriend jeans I bought a couple of summers ago. I just found a similar pair of cropped boyfriend jeans in a "natural wash" on LOFT's site (and yay you, everything is 40% off right now!), or these Eddie Bauer white boyfriend jeans (shown here) look a lot like mine. (On sale! $39.99 at EddieBauer.com)
What to wear with them:
A cropped, white boyfriend jean looks great with SO MUCH, from comfy sandals to wedges to sneakers. Up top, you can wear tank tops, a soft t-shirt, or even a button-down shirt (tucked in with a belt, or loose with a tank underneath would both look great).
I like a tank that's a little longer in the back, like this Splendid Cannes Stripe Tank. (On sale! $54 at Splendid.com)
Nine West "pipeline" white sandals will look ... white hot. (On sale: $39.00 at NineWest.com)
Or pair your boyfriends with a fun striped tee and sneakers:
This Market striped T is colorblock on speed. Love it. ($24.95 at Gap)
Rookie Gingham laceless Keds get in my closet. (On Sale! $29.95 at Keds.com)
- This is a look ANYONE can pull off! The same advice holds true when it comes to fit: you want them to be snug, but not skintight. Err on the side of a teensy bit roomy.
- Don't skimp. You don't have to spend a ton of money, but want a quality jean that you feel fully supported wearing, not some chintzy see-through bargain.
- A high or mid rise will help you feel more secure, and will look totally on trend.
I just got a pair of NYDJ "Angelina" jeans (pictured here) and they're my new summer style BFF. They're called "leggings" on the site, but they're not super tight and thin like a legging; they're skinny but solid, if you know what I mean. At $96 on sale, they're not cheap, but if you can afford a splurge, NYDJ jeans are worth every penny.
For a more affordable option, Levi's makes a high quality mid rise skinny jean. (On sale! $29.99 at Levis.com)
More from The Stir: Fedoras Are Hot This Season: The Dos & Don'ts of Wearing Them
What to wear with them:
As with the boyfriend style, you can dress these up or down, but they can get even dressier than the more casual BFs. They'll totally work anywhere you'd wear a summer dress (I wore mine to my daughter's elementary school graduation), and they also work with a sexy top and heels for a night out.
This Simply Vera Vera Wang Watercolor Blouse will look beautiful against the white jeans, and a tuni cut is forgiving. (On sale!$30.80 at Kohls.com)
Sexy but comfortable "Lark" wedge sandals by Naturalizer give just the right amount of height. ($79 at Piperlime.com)
Or, work those jeans for a sexy date night look:
This mesh sleeve scoop-back tee is so hot. ($29.90 at Express.com)
Flirty Style&co Celine peep-toe pumps in "orange multi" are to die for. (On sale! $20.65 at Macys.com)
Do you have a pair of white jeans?
Image via loveMaegan/Flickr