Ahhh. Summer. It's finally (almost) here, and you know what that means. It's time to hang up our coats, put our sweaters in storage, and bust out the dresses, skirts, shorts, bathing suits, flip-flops, and everything in between.
But it also means we need to switch up our beauty routines a bit since we can't hide under sweatshirts and baggy jeans anymore. And when it comes to looking good in the summertime, there are a few rules that no woman should ever, ever break -- for her own sake, as well as that of the general population.
Here are six beauty principles we should all vow to live by -- at least until fall rolls around.
- Get a pedicure -- For the love of Pete, if you're going to wear flip-flops or sandals, make an appointment for a pedi beforehand, or at least file the dead skin off your feet and throw a fresh coat of polish on your toes. Nothing ruins a perfectly cute summer outfit like some seriously funky feet that haven't been tended to in months.
- Shave -- Do I really need to explain this one? Sure, we all get a little lazy when it comes to shaving every day in the winter. But when your legs and underarms are exposed on a daily basis, you gotta have a razor nearby at all times.
- Moisturize -- Hairy legs are a definite no-no, but after they are all shaved and smooth, you gotta make sure to lube them up with lotion so they don't look all scaly. And you might as well throw some moisturizer on your elbows too -- another area that gets neglected when the weather is cold.
- Wear your sunscreen -- Sure, the warm sun feels great on your skin. But it also causes things like premature wrinkles, age spots, and potentially even skin cancer. Even if you're only going to be outside for a short period of time, it's important to apply sunblock, especially during peak hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., when the sun is the strongest.
- Get a tan -- Ok, so I know this kind of contradicts #4, but you don't necessarily have to lay out in the sun to get a bronzed glow. And if you're pasty white, to the point where someone might be blinded by looking at you, it's probably a good idea to throw on a little self-tanner before wearing short-shorts. (Everyone will thank you.)
- Go easy on the makeup -- A natural look is best in summer, especially since you sweat so much more. If you're wearing cakey, heavy makeup, odds are good it will wind up running down your face by the end of the day. (And that just ain't pretty.)
How do you change up your beauty routine in summer?
Image via Dyanna Hyde/Flickr