So. You're a mom in your twenties. Lucky you!
You probably have glowing, youthful skin, like the 20-something-year-old girl in this photo, and not even the tiniest hint of crow's feet.
Life is good.
But even a girl with flawless skin could use a few tips from the pros.
That's where I went to find out their very best makeup advice for moms in their 20s (and don't worry- I'll be addressing women in their 30s, 40s, and beyond in future posts). Check out their top tips after the jump!
1. Face. In your 20s, you probably don't need any foundation -- but if you insist on it, stick with something lightweight. Tinted moisturizer is good, or try a sheer foundation like M.A.C. Face and Body.
2. Eyes. Lucky you! You can basically try anything you want in your twenties, whether you like bold colors, shimmer and sparkle, cream eyeshadows or powders. Just keep in mind that you want your eyes to look young and fresh. Choose neutrals and pastels for daytime over darker colors. Unless you're going clubbing, less is more!
3. Lips. Once again, anything goes. Just keep in mind that if you're doing bold eyes, your lips should be soft and neutral. If you're doing a bold lip, make sure you're not wearing too much eye makeup. For day, opt for lip gloss or stain over heavier lipstick. You probably won't need to use a lip pencil in your twenties. Yes. I'm jealous.
4. Cheeks. Keep them pink and rosy. Powdered blush usually works best for the 20-something year old.
5. Routine. You shouldn't need to spend too much time on your makeup when you're in your twenties. Your makeup routine shouldn't take longer than about 5 minutes, unless you're getting ready for a special occasion. There's just not that much to do- You're already perfect!
6. Cleansing. Yeah, I know. You're really busy and your kids are probably small. But please, ladies. Don't go to bed at night without washing your face. It's really good for your skin and it'll keep you from getting those pesky pimples that you're still probably dealing with.
7. Moisturizing. I made the mistake of thinking I didn't need to moisturize in my twenties. Now, I wish I had. The better you take care of your skin now, the better it will look ten or even twenty years from now. Do as I say, not as I did.
8. SPF. Even more important than moisturizing is wearing SPF every. Single. Day. Every makeup artist I've ever met has driven this point home. This will help hold off wrinkles better than anything else. Many moisturizers have SPF in them now. Get one of those, and also look for SPF products that contain zinc. You'll thank me later.
9. Shimmer. If you've been wanting to try products that shimmer and glimmer, your 20s are the time to do it. They tend to put the spotlight on wrinkles, so women in their 30s and 40s generally need to avoid the sparkly stuff.
10. Love. Take it from me, at 37. LOVE the way you look right now. I was plagued with insecurities about my appearance in my 20s, and now I'd love to have that skin again. My 30s are awesome, but appearance-wise, everything was just a little easier when I was in my 20s. Take a deep breath and be happy with what you've got right now. Physically at least, it will never be this good again.
Most of these tips came from Stephanie Trail, the owner of Salon NFuse here in Nashville. Stephanie's done hair and makeup for lots of Nashville celebs and models-- The woman knows what she's talking about. Thanks for the advice, Steph!