It may be hard to imagine, but the simplest way to a beautiful complexion is not through those super-expensive miracle creams you can buy, but through your stomach. Hard to believe, isn't it? But it's true -- what you eat plays an integral part in what your skin looks like.
So what foods are beauty secrets in disguise? How do you give yourself a "facial" with your food? What should you be eating to make your skin radiant?
Here are some foods that will make your skin gorgeous.
1) Fish and Nuts: Fish, like salmon, mackerel, and sardines, as well as seeds, like flax seed and chia seeds, are huge sources of "healthy" fats, called omega-3s. Fish and nuts both have tons of these omega-3 oils, which reduce inflammation and moisturize our skin so that it's as soft as a baby's.
2) Yogurt: Yogurt is one of the tastiest snacks on the planet, and has the added bonus of being a "probiotic" -- which helps the naturally found bacteria in our stomach stay at a proper balance. Improperly balanced stomach bacteria can lead to acne, dry skin, skin dullness, wrinkles, and eczema.
3) Curry: One of the spices in curries, turmeric, helps to reduce irritation to the skin, as well as preventing skin damage from occurring. Curries are also very tasty!
4) Purple Foods: Foods like purple cabbage, purple potatoes, purple cauliflower, blueberries, and raspberries are all antioxidants. Free radicals from environmental pollution, UV rays, and cigarette smoke can cause damage to the body -- including the skin -- which can be neutralized by eating purple foods full of antioxidants. Those fruits and vegetables improve circulation and repair damaged cells -- including collagen and elastin, two of the cell structures that keep skin firm and fresh-looking.
5) Cinnamon and Ginger: Both of these spices, delicious in cooking, are full of antioxidants that can tone down puffiness in the face, while also reducing any skin inflammation.
What are some of the ways you keep your skin fresh and healthy?
Image via Robert Raines/Flickr
Going to baseball games
Riding bike rides in the nice weather
Playing outside after work/school
Going for walks outside