If you have medium-length or long hair, I have two words that are going to change your life: sock bun. I thought this was just something that a mom in my daughter's dance class had made up to get her little girl's hair into the best bun ever, but then I started hearing more and more murmurings about it. Soon, I realized that all of those celebrities I see with the perfectly coiffed dos I thought my thin hair could never hold really have a secret weapon -- a sock.
Just an ordinary, everyday sock -- and it makes all the difference in the world. Now, I've seen amazing techniques for beautiful buns before -- like this one Kate Middleton wore or this one that uses a faux hair clip -- but frankly, they overwhelm me, and I just go back to my boring ponytail. But there's no intimidation when it comes to socks, and you don't have to buy a single thing -- not even bobby pins. Just grab a sock from your drawer -- preferably one whose mate you've lost -- and get started.
Here's the sock bun in five easy steps:
1. Cut the toe off of a sock. One in a color that is close to your hair color works best.
2. Roll the sock starting at the top until you've formed a donut shape.
3. Put your hair into a pony tail wherever you want the bun. You can do a trendy top knot, one at the nape of your neck, or even one on the side.
4. Take the donut sock and place it over the end of your pony tail.
5. Start rolling the sock down and your hair around it until you reach the base of your pony tail.
Done! Now you have that perfectly round, poufy bun that celebs like Sarah Jessica Parker and J. Lo have sported.
If you're a visual person, here's a great video from Hello Giggles that shows you how to do it step-by-step and just how cute it can be.
Did I tell you it was easy? It's casual mommy chic at its best, and you can also make it more sleek for a fancy evening out. Bonus: If you do this before you go to bed with slightly damp hair, in the morning when you take it out, you will have gorgeous waves.
Will you wear the sock bun?
Image via Mr. Kate/You Tube