Remember the days when you used to have an extra hour to stand in front of the bathroom mirror to style your hair, apply your makeup, and ensure that you looked absolutely picture perfect before leaving the house? Yeah -- me neither.
As much as we'd love to put a little more time and effort into our beauty routines each day, being a mom just doesn't quite lend itself to having a ton of free time to make our personal appearance a top priority.
But even though our time may be much more limited as mothers, if we focus on a few essential beauty items instead of trying to use every single product in our bathroom, then we can easily pull off looking put together and polished without it disrupting our schedule. Because there are really only 5 things that every mom needs in order to look good.
1. A good under-eye concealer: Nothing says "I was up all night with a crying child" like visible dark circles and bags under your eyes, right? A tired appearance can seriously ruin your look, no matter how cute your outfit may be or how good your hair looks on any particular day. Stock up on concealer, and make sure that you dab a little on each morning. There's just no reason to advertise the fact that you're completely exhausted.
2. Tinted moisturizer: What mom has time not only to moisturize her skin, but to apply foundation on top of it? Tinted moisturizer totally knocks out two birds with one stone. It gives you nice, even coverage and a bit of a glow so you don't look too pasty, and then it also hydrates your skin, which we all know helps keep it looking younger. Tinted moisturizer is a total win-win, plus it looks way less fake and cakey than foundation.
3. Lip gloss: Most of us are lucky if we have any sort of weekly activities that require us to dress up a bit and wear lipstick, but that doesn't mean that we still don't want to add a pop of color to brighten up our faces a bit. Wearing lip gloss in lieu of lipstick is a great way to say, "I care about how I look and I've still got it -- but I'm not trying too hard." Lip gloss is perfect for doing the carpool run or heading to the grocery store to pick up dinner. Save the lipstick for date night, ladies.
4. Dry shampoo: And -- we're back at the whole "not having enough time in the bathroom" thing. Even though it just isn't healthy to wash and blow dry your hair every single day, there are still times where we go a little bit too long in between shampoos and start to look kinda greasy. This is where dry shampoo comes in. You just spray a little on your roots, brush it out, and voila! It takes away the glossy look and freshens up your hair and makes it smell nice again. It's like the modern-day baby powder or something.
More from The Stir: 10 Middle School Beauty Products That Still Rock
5. Big sunglasses: When all else totally fails as far as looking gorgeous goes, big sunglasses are the absolute perfect solution to any beauty dilemma. They hide dark circles and bags around the eyes, they conceal blemishes on your cheeks or in and around the eye area, and they draw attention away from the rest of your face. Plus, if you are having a really bad hair day, you can just wear them on top of your head as a headband and your style will suddenly look cute again. Out of any of the five items on this list that moms absolutely MUST have, big sunglasses are right at the top. Don't leave home without 'em.
What other beauty products have you found to be essential as a mom?
Addicted to beauty and style? Make sure you follow us on Pinterest, the virtual pin board that is seriously addicting! Check out some of our favorite boards, including Spring Style 2012, Celebrity Style, and our hilarious I'll Take That Dare style videos, and you'll see what we mean.
Image via stevendepolo/Flickr
Going to baseball games
Riding bike rides in the nice weather
Playing outside after work/school
Going for walks outside