It's the start of a new season. Time to make sure your wardrobe is well stocked with style basics.
We've put together a list of the eight basics every woman should own, but we hope it goes without saying that all these essentials should fit well, show off your best features, and be of the best quality you can afford. After all, these are the items you're going to wear and count on most.
8 Basics That Every Woman Should Own
1. Jeans that fit you perfectly. If you haven't found your perfect pair yet, then set a day to go out with your best friend (the honest one) and find them. Have a salesperson help you and try lots of different cuts until you find the ones that are right for you. There's nothing better than having a pair of go-to jeans that make you feel good every time.
2. Versatile black dress. You know the one. It's simple enough to be dressed up with a cropped faux fur and heels, but you can also dress it down by throwing on a cardigan. This dress works for anything between business casual and semi-formal. Wear it to an evening birthday party or your after-hours work event.
3. Colorful daytime dress. It might be floral, plaid, or solid, but you feel happy when you wear it. Perfect for church, day weddings, bridal showers, and baby showers.
4. Dress trousers/pants. Every woman needs a pair of all-occasion dress pants. You can find all kinds of flattering fits even in machine-washable styles, and don't worry, basic doesn't always have to mean black -- go wild with navy, charcoal, or pin stripes. These pants are great to have on hand when denim is a no-no.
5. Festive top. It's important to have one extra-special top for dinners out with your sweetie or a girls' night out. This top has a great pattern, sequins, an asymmetrical neckline, or some other unforgettable feature and goes great with your dress pants.
6. Fitted blazer or jacket. Again, black makes for a great basic color, but you really can choose from a variety of fabrics and colors in a jacket so it can be worn to spruce up any outfit. Think tweed, patterned, plaid, or even leather.
7. Pretty heels. For most women, these heels are basic black pumps, but they certainly don't have to be. If you like a flash of color, then by all means, pick up a pair in a lovely color. Color is the new neutral, right?
8. Boots. Ladies, you need to keep those feet warm in the winter but still look stylish. Ankle boots, knee-high, or over-the-knee, choose your boot pleasure.
What do you consider the most essential basic in your closet?