Photo from Holistic Moms Network
The Holistic Moms Network (HMN) just named Mayim Bialik (a.k.a the star of Blossom) as its celebrity spokesperson. Mayim, has been raising her baby Fred (11 months) and his big brother Miles (3 ½) as holistically as possible and was already a member of HMN so she was the perfect choice.
What is the HMN and how can you join?
The Holistic Moms Network is a nonprofit, nationwide organization that connects parents who are interested in holistic health and green living. It has more than 120 chapters throughout the United States, and it advocates these seven fundamental ideas for holistic parenting:
1. Living simply and consuming less
2. Making informed and educated parenting decisions
3. Teaching children to respect and care about the natural world
4. Limiting children's exposure to advertising, marketing and a consumer-driven culture
5. Balancing and integrating the physical, emotional, and spiritual aspects of being
6. Seeking respectful and nurturing relationships with others
7. Actively participating in our own healing process
“For those of us who parent against current trends, and for those of us who are parenting after educated, compassionate decisions, to do so without support can be disheartening, discouraging, and often leads to straying from our instincts. HMN provides the support and education that we historically have gotten from close-knit communities," says Mayim.
"The way of life for the past hundreds of thousands of years informs my parenting on a daily basis. Even though I am not in a hunter-gatherer community, my parenting still needs to be encouraged and guided. By finding my tribe in HMN, I have been able to reclaim some of that ancient wisdom that that families used to share every day."
If you're interested in joining or getting more information, visit the Holistic Moms Network.
Are you raising your child in a holistic or green way? Do you find that you are often discouraged from doing so or do you feel you get the support you need?