Mom Shares Scary Photo to Warn Parents About Baby-Wearing Danger


Zsolt Biczo/Shutterstock
It's always lovely to keep your baby snuggled to you, especially in those hectic moments when you're also happy to have both hands free. But one woman is warning of the danger of wearing babies in carriers and slings after she suffered a frightening kitchen accident that could've had much more devastating repercussions.

Advertisement

Molly Landis shared an alarming photo of herself with burns and open wounds as a result of an explosion that took place in her kitchen. The fact that she wasn't wearing her 4-week-old daughter as she often does is nothing short of a miracle.

Take a look. You have to wonder if she's crying tears of pain or relief. 

More from CafeMom: 

It gives you chills reading her words and seeing the extent of her injuries. 

This part in particular really makes you believe in divine intervention: "...on this particular night a guardian angel was watching over me and my baby bc [sic] for the first time in her life she fell asleep in her swing and I wasn't wearing her while I was in the kitchen. The worst of my burns is to my chest -- exactly where her precious little head would have been laying if she were in her carrier."

The dinner hour is often the crankiest time of day for new babies, so it truly seems like an amazing bit of good fortune that Landis's little girl stayed put in her swing that evening. 

It's terrifying to think how badly her little one could've been hurt and scarred. She's sharing her experience to caution other moms about the potential danger of wearing infants while cooking or doing other potentially dangerous activities. She writes: "Pleaseeeee be cautious of the activities we do while wearing our babies!'" 

More from CafeMom: 

She's so right. It's easy to overlook the inherent dangers that lurk in the kitchen -- fire, something falling from a high shelf, etc. Carriers are wonderful in certain settings but Landis's point is an important one. 

How many times have you seen someone wearing a baby in the supermarket and the parent or caregiver bends down to get something and you expect that newborn to spill right out of the sling? Or, have you ever seen a parent try to drink hot coffee just inches above the baby's bald head? Scary! 

We wish Landis a speedy recovery and appreciate her sharing this cautionary tale, which thankfully has a happy ending for baby and hopefully will prevent possible accidents for other parents. 

Read More >