Mom Accidentally Gives Baby Vodka Instead of Water

OMG 123

waterA mother accidentally gave her baby vodka, thinking it was water. Apparently, she was giving the child what she thought was water from a water bottle, but the clear substance inside wound up being vodka. The baby reportedly ingested about half a bottle cap of the alcohol and was immediately rushed to the hospital after the mom realized what had happened. Authorities say the incident appears to genuinely be an accident, and no charges have been filed.

Now. Before we all go Judgey McJudgerson on this mom and demand her head on a stick, let's take a step back for a moment and ask ourselves: Have I ever made an honest mistake that could have resulted in something really bad as a parent?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most of us have never accidentally given our children sips of alcohol. And I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that most of us don't have random water bottles filled with vodka lying around the house. But still. Mistakes do happen when you're a parent -- especially a new one. And this mother must have been terrified the minute she realized what she had accidentally done.

A few months after my daughter was born, my sister and I decided to take her to Babies R Us. Her car seat was the kind that you snap into a cart with wheels, so you never have to take the baby out. When we got into the store, I loosened the straps of the car seat, because I felt like my daughter would be a bit more comfortable. But when I snapped her back into the car seat base for the ride home -- you guessed it. I never tightened the straps again. When I got home, I realized what I had done and I all but broke down in tears. I felt like such an awful parent. But it was an honest mistake. An honest mistake that could have resulted in something too awful to even think about. And guess what? I have never done that again.

Details are sparse about the vodka incident, but if this honest-to-god was an accident, my heart goes out to this mom. She must still be reeling from this. And I seriously doubt she'll ever forgive herself.

Did you ever make a "new parent mistake"?

 

Image via Gideon/Flickr

baby first year

123 Comments

To add a comment, please log in with

Use Your CafeMom Profile

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Comment As a Guest

Guest comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.

LeeshaE LeeshaE

I could see how this could happen. When my son was a toddler he picked up a water bottle in my younger brothers bedroom and proceeded to drink it. My brother's friends found it hilarious to tell me it was vodka not water and watch me freak out. Thank god it was really water.

nonmember avatar Kristi

One time I thought the box of rat poison was formula...silly me.
NO. I have never mistaken anything toxic to a baby for something that isnt. It seems that we have an abundance of stupid people procreating.

Candy Mast

I've heard of this happening several times over the last couple of years.  My question:  Why is there vodka in a water bottle anyway?????

nonmember avatar Wendy

I did the same thing with the car seat straps and you can bet it's never happened again!
I don't understand why someone would leave vodka in a water bottle but I believe it was an honest mistake. Merely for the fact that she immediately rushed to the hospital. Had she done this on purpose, why the rush to the hospital immediately after realizing it wasn't water?
Poor mama must feel absolutely horrible and relieved! My heart goes out to her.

Anna Dang

I'm sorry, but Vodka has a distinct odor. It may not be strong as say Whisky or Tequila, but unless she was holding the bottle at arms length while preparing the formula, there is no mistaking the smell. And even if it was the best vodka that is known to be less "smelly," there is still concentration- liquor- even clear liquor is a little thicker than water. Twenty-three years ago, I was a new parent at 16, but I always knew to prepare my baby's formula with either boiled water or bottled water.

Sharon Maclean

I had cough medicine in my fridge and my two year old got it and drank half the bottle. but he didn't get sleepy he got more awake

nonmember avatar Krystal

I don't understand how she couldn't smell it, Most vodka smells strong.

Katha... Katharine205

We had a similar incident, my daughter picked up a glass of vodka and water at a relatives house and proceeded to drink it thinking it was a glass of water for her.  She spit it out right away when she realized it wasn't water (she was 4 at the time) and she was fine, although she took just a little sip.  We didn't rush her to the hospital (one little sip isn't something I'd want her to have but it likely won't hurt her) but we did keep a close eye on her for a while.  She was fine.  I can remember taking a swig off my dad's beer when I was pretty little too, I thought it was disgusting and wouldn't touch it again until many years later but I was fine as well.

nonmember avatar Sandra S

When my daughter first starting using the front facing car seat I was forever checking the seatbelt making sure it was buckled. Well one day my husband took out the carseat and put it in his truck. The next day before he left for work i reminded him to put carseat in my truck. Well I put my daughter in the carseat and drove a block to drop off my son at school and proceeded to take my daughter to daycare. Two or three blocks down the road the seatbelt popped into my head and I realized the carseat was NOT buckled. I freaked out and pulled into a parking lot and fastened the seatbelt. My heart was pounding and I was so mad at my husband. Lets just say I called him after dropping my daughter off and he got an ear full.

nonmember avatar christine

Um wow ! So many more of these stories popping up. I have two children of my own (3&1) and yes sometimes "mommy brain" kicks in and we make mistakes. But I have never once mistaken alcohol for water ! Why is the alcohol not put up ? Why couldn't u have smelled it when you were making the bottle?

Not sure about her household , but in mine everything like medicine and alcohol (if its ever in the house which is extremely rare) is out of sight and out very high up (to the point I have to get a chair to get to it ) so stuff like this doesn't happen. Smh.... ppl need to be more careful and a little bit more responsible when raising their children.

1-10 of 123 comments 12345 Last
F