It isn't a secret that Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom have been trying to conceive for a while now. Khloe, bravely, has been incredibly vocal about her fertility issues, and the world's collective heart broke for her when we found out that Kim got pregnant first. Khloe would be a good mom. Khloe will be a good mom. But right now, it unfortunately doesn't seem like it's in the cards for Lamar and her. So the couple went and did the next best thing: They got a dog. A really cute dog. A Boxer puppy named Bernard Hopkins.
Having a baby is much different than having a dog, obviously. But there are ways in which a pup will prepare you for "the real thing." I have a feeling Khloe and Lamar are going to learn a thing or two about being parents from Bernard. Here are five ways a dog can prepare you for a baby.
1. With a dog, you can no longer come and go as you please. Once you have a dog, you can't be gone all day. Plain and simple. You need to come home to walk and feed and give fresh water to the little guy. And I mean, if you went out and got a dog, you should hang out with it. Once you have a baby, restrictions abound! Everything is centered around baby's schedule, mood, appointments, etc. Also, you can't leave your baby alone when you go to the movies like you can a dog -- so enjoy it while you can, Khloe!
2. Dogs are expensive. Dogs, like babies, cost you some cash. There are shots, vet visits, food, bowls, toys, etc. And it adds up. With babies, there are TONS of expenses you may not have thought about: Diapers; food; clothes they'll grow up of in four seconds; books; toys; child care if you need it. Start saving, friends.
3. Dogs teach you about taking care of another thing. Never mind being responsible for keeping your pet, you know, alive, you need to train your dog to not do things like go to the bathroom in the house and chew up all the furniture. Patience required. Need I even say this applies to babies? Actually, in lots of cases, you'll even need to stop your little one from eating furniture, too!
4. Dogs are, well, gross sometimes. Yes, dogs are sweet and cuddly and awesome, but also, you have to do some pretty gross things when you have a pup. There's poop and pee and barf with dogs, just as there is with babies. It's far from glamorous, but of course, it's all worth it -- just as it is with babies.
5. Dogs teach you about love. You know that awful feeling you have when your dog doesn't feel well? Ugh, worst. Poor thing can't communicate, and you just want to him to get better. That's called love. And it's awesome. Now if you'll take that feeling and multiply it by a million, that's a general idea of how you'll feel about your baby!
Did your dog prepare you for your baby? Oh, and here's Khloe's new pup: