It's Mother's Day and I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you and all the things you've done for me over the years. I know it wasn't always easy, but you've always made it fun.
Here are just a few of the many things I'd like to thank you for.
1. Thanks for not working and staying home with me until I was old enough to go to school.
2. Thanks for making dinner for our family every night, and all those big family meals on Sundays.
3. Thanks for picking me up from jail and being more worried about how scared you thought I would be than why I got arrested in the first place.
4. Thanks for staying with me for two weeks when I had my baby.
5. Thanks for driving in the middle of the night to come see me at college when I was having an anxiety attack and I thought I was going to die -- even though you knew I wouldn't.
6. Thanks for not yelling at me the day I got my license when I crashed the car -- and took down that gas pump. Even after Exxon sued us.
7. Thanks for showing me that women can be moms and have successful careers too.
8. Thanks for telling me I don't look fat, even when I do.
9. Thanks for teaching me how to make the perfect martini.
10. Thanks for not running out onto the basketball court when I injured my knee during the State Championship because you knew how much it would embarrass me.
11. Thanks for being more happy for me when I eloped than sad for yourself that you missed my wedding.
12. Thanks for spending Christmas with me in the hospital.
13. Thanks for counseling me through countless broken hearts.
14. Thanks for beating breast cancer.
15. Thanks for being such a great grandmother.
16. Thanks for all that money, all those times.
17. Thanks for believing in Santa, even now.
18. Thanks for letting me live with you after college, after law school, after I was a grown-up.
19. Thanks for driving me to the train every single day when I worked at the U.S. Attorney's Office.
20 Thanks for throwing me that fabulous, creative baby shower.
21. Thanks for saving every magazine containing every article I've published.
22. Thanks for not posting the picture of President Obama and me on every telephone pole in town.
23. Thanks for pretending to like the first house I bought.
24. Thanks for spending the day with the ducks and me at the paint store -- and helping me paint while Alex went kayaking.
25. Thanks for loving me no matter what.
Happy Mother's Day!
What are you thanking your mother for this Mother's Day?
Image via emerson 12/Flickr