The Happiest Families Look Like This

April Peveteaux

two girls best baby combo
Lucky Badgers
Proving there's a study for everything, polled over 2,000 parents to determine what the best possible combination of children was for the family unit. Yes, it's completely and totally arbitrary, but you really want to know, don't you? Especially since you have ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL over what gender your baby turns out to be. It's great hearing how wonderful it is, that thing that someone else has that you don't. Especially when that thing makes them the happiest freaking people on the block. Right?

Ack. So here it is. Having two girl children makes you happiest of all. As a mom to one boy and one girl, of course I'm calling bullshit on that. But the study says so, because they interviewed parents and asked them to "rank their children’s behaviour based on categories including ease of care, compatibility, and overall behaviour."

And here's how the rest of the combos come in, from best to worst:

1. Two girls

2. One boy and one girl

3. Two boys

4. Three girls

5. Three boys

6. Four boys

7. Two girls and one boy

8. Two boys and one girl

9. Three boys and one girl

10. Three girls and one boy

11. Two boys and two girls

12. Four girls

Parents of only children were excluded, because you know if you only have one child, you aren't even worth hearing from on the subject of family happiness.

Some nuggets of wisdom regarding two girls include: "two girls are unlikely to fight, will play nicely together, rarely annoy their parents, and tend not to wind each other up."

My kids do wind each other up, and I LOVE it. It's hilarious, even if it makes bedtime more challenging. They also play nicely together about 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, I really don't sweat it. Because I'm happy, in spite of not having two daughters.

But of course I should be, since my combo is second on the list. And pity those poor people who have four girls, as they have to referee fights up to four times a day! Also on that list of negatives: having to buy a bigger house, and finding it difficult to cope.

Is it just me, or do all of these things happen when you decide to have children of any gender, and any number?

I hate this "study."

How does your family rank?


Image via Amazon

Read More