Baby Burned by Diaper Soaked With Drain Cleaner

Julie Ryan Evans

Brielle SpriggsA 7-month-old girl in Pittsburgh was undergoing skin grafts today after being burned by a diaper soaked in drain cleaner. Brielle Spriggs was at a Pittsburgh-area daycare center when it happened. The family's attorney says daycare workers believe a diaper they put on the girl was soaked with the cleaner by accident, and no one noticed it for a couple of hours, during which time the burns occured.

That poor baby! While, thankfully, there's no current indication that it wasn't accidental, how could such a horrible mistake be made? Why was drain cleaner anywhere near baby products? And wasn't the baby screaming in pain as the chemicals burned her delicate little skin?

"This is clearly somebody's negligence," the family's attorney told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "An employee brought Drano into the day care center, and apparently it got to the point that it saturated the diaper. His baby is not mildly burned. Chemical burns are the worst. They eat the skin."

It's stories like this that make me want to slam my laptop lid shut and run and get my daughter from her preschool. Because really, how do we know what's going on when our children are out of our sight? How can we be sure our babies won't suffer this or a worse fate by those to whom we entrust their care?

Unfortunately, we can't. If we're to use child care in any form, then we can only do so much. We can do background checks, and unannounced drop-ins, and all the due diligence in the world, but in the end, we have to trust our instincts and trust the caregivers we choose. Usually that's enough, and the majority of childcare workers are loving and vigilant, but it's cases like this that chip away at that trust ... and make us question our choices.

Do stories like this make you question your child care decisions?

Image via

Read More