The year 2010 was a really weird and busy time for me and many of my friends (and OMG, where did that decade go?). And it seems that breastfeeding was one of the top buzz words of the year. The topic caused quite a stir here at The Stir.
There were some crazy revelations, hilarious conclusions and bloopers, as well as some sad misunderstandings and great advances.
One thing is for sure though, we sure talked about breastfeeding A LOT! Check out some of the most buzzed about breastfeeding topics of last year.
- The government can't make up their minds whether they should support breastfeeding or not (the IRS sure isn't supportive) even though it could save $13 billion dollars a year for our country.
- But the good news is First Lady Michelle Obama fully supports breastfeeding and its benefits to prevent childhood obesity.
- People said a lot of cruel and untrue things about nursing until the child is 6 years old, but some even had the nerve to say nursing past 2 was like giving babies soda.
- We learned that breastfeeding can kill you, especially if you're a wooly mammoth, but it can also improve your standing with unicorns.
- Americans seem to think their own personal issues are more important than a baby's health, which we learned when a poll showed 57 percent of Americans don't approve of breastfeeding in public. But that's okay, you've got lots of ways to do it anyway, especially if you like to be a sarcastic show-off or if you just want to wear a boobie beanie. Who doesn't?!
- Many of us decided that we wanted this awesome breastfeeding doll, for ourselves. It gives birth -- placenta included!
- And the debate on whether or not breastfeeding helps you lose weight -- some say yes, others say heck no!
- As if flying with a child wasn't hard enough, moms took another hit in this arena. Breastfeeding moms have one heck of a time getting past the TSA or on planes, with their baby or with breast milk for the baby at home.
- A Kardashian talks crap about breastfeeding and Gisele suggests that it should be law that everyone does it. Blossom thinks everyone needs to chill out.
- Australian law calls one mom a sex abuser for nursing her 6-year-old -- who she rarely saw and had no milk in her breasts for.
- Companies with stock in women NOT breastfeeding try underhanded tricks to undermine and prevent successful nursing.
- Women talked frankly about their breastfeeding experiences, and opinions about being told to pump instead of nursing in public, and having to supplement despite best efforts.
- We started a Breastfeeding 101 series to help get people on the right foot, and so far I've done before the birth, the newborn days, and the first six months. I'm not done yet!
- Moms struggle getting kicked out of public buildings, stores, and restaurants merely for nursing, though for one mom, it was just a huge misunderstanding.
- Indonesia makes it illegal to not breastfeed, to the detriment of moms who can even face jail time.
- CBS tries to support breastfeeding and fails miserably.
- The CDC finally admits it's growth charts are based off formula-fed babies and that using them on breastfed babies is inaccurate, and should no longer be used.
- We named three situations where a baby shouldn't be breastfed, but you being pregnant isn't one of them!
- A man blogged about how seeing a woman nursing her baby made him hungry.
- An actual study debunked the myth that breastfeeding moms get less sleep.
Holy cow! Who knew there was so much to say about breastfeeding?
What was your favorite story, or was it one that I missed?
Image via amileegirl/CafeMom